Before being acquired by William H. Riggs, this sword was in the collection of Sir Samuel Rush Meyrick (1783–1848), founder of the modern study of arms and armor. Meyrick purchased the sword from a London dealer in 1818. It was included in a watercolor by the French painter Eugène Delacroix (1797–1863), which he made during a visit to Meyrick’s collection in 1825. The sword was catalogued as possibly English in the early nineteenth century, but its place of origin remains uncertain.
Date: 15th century
Steel, Leather, Wood
Dimensions: L. 48 3/8 in. (122.9 cm); L. of blade, 36 7/8 in. (93.7 cm); Wt. 3 lb. 9 oz. (1618 g)